Learn how to create a convenient DIY diamond ring cleaning kit from the experts at David Alan. All you need are a few household items and some extra time to let your rings soak. We’ll lead you step by step through our DIY process for sparkling stones, and even tell you what to avoid when cleaning your diamonds.
Gather These Supplies Before Cleaning Your Diamond Ring
Cleaning your diamond ring is simple. For DIY at-home cleaning, you’ll need:
- A small to medium sized bowl, depending on how many rings you’ll be cleaning
- Warm water with dish soap (preferably fragrance-free)
- Rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) or non-acetone nail polish remover
- A toothbrush or nail brush with firm bristles
- Paper towels
Step-By-Step Guide On How To Clean Your Diamond Ring At Home
Here’s a simple and easy guide to safely cleaning your diamond ring at home:
- Fill your bowl with enough warm water to fully submerge your ring.
- Add a small amount of dish soap to the water. The water should be sudsy, but not overflowing with soapy bubbles.
- Add one cap full of rubbing alcohol or non-acetone nail polish remover to the soapy water.
- Place your ring gently into the bowl.
- Let your ring soak overnight. If you’re short on time, let them soak for at least 30 minutes.
- After letting your ring soak, take it out of the water to scrub clean with your toothbrush or nail brush. Dunk the bristles into the water solution before scrubbing.
- While scrubbing, focus on the ring’s open areas where dust, dirt, and lotion easily accumulate. The back and sides of the ring accumulate debris more easily, so pay special attention to these areas. Pro tip: Don’t be afraid to scrub well! The nylon bristles of your brush can’t scratch your rings.
- Once you’re finished scrubbing, rinse your ring under the tap, ensuring you rinse the solution off. Pro tip: Close your drain before rinsing to avoid losing any rings!
- After rinsing, wrap your ring in a paper towel to dry. Then, hold tight and shake your wrapped ring to get rid of any excess water.
- Carefully unwrap your diamond ring from the paper towel to unveil sparkling jewels.
How Often Should I Clean A Diamond Ring?
For many people, their most expensive and most-worn piece of jewelry they own is their diamond engagement ring and wedding band. If you wear your diamond ring each day, it may accumulate hand lotion, hair products, and even cooking oils quickly, producing a cloudy veil over your otherwise sparkling diamond. For this reason, it’s a good idea to do a DIY cleaning once a week to keep your ring clear and shiny. If you don’t wear your ring often, you can get away with less frequent cleanings.
Here’s What Not To Use While Cleaning Your Diamond Ring
Harsh chemicals, such as bleach, acetone, and chlorine can create unnecessary wear and tear, and may diminish your diamond’s sparkle. When using jewelry cleaning solutions, always make sure the ingredient list is free of abrasive chemicals like these. Your brush should be soft bristled to avoid any possible scratching. Your diamond is quite strong, but the metal band, especially if gold, is prone to chemical damage and scratching.
Exercise Caution With Ultrasonic Jewelry Cleaners
Ultrasonic cleaners are safe and compatible for diamonds, some gemstones, most precious metals and some non-organic gemstones. HEED CAUTION however. Be sure to ask your jeweler before using an ultrasonic at home as some gemstones and precious metals can be damaged by the high frequency vibrations. It’s best to clean your diamonds with a simple cleaning solution by hand rather than damaging your precious stones for convenience’s sake.
Schedule A Professional Clean With David Alan, today!
To keep your diamond rings looking their best, schedule professional cleanings every six months. David Alan Jewelry provides a thorough and expert cleaning experience that keeps your stones gleaming. Further to that we will do a complimentary safety check to be sure the prongs are secure and there are no cracks or damage to your diamonds. Plus, booking online is easy with the click of a button. Experience sparkling stones with David Alan, today!
Discover custom, not customary fine jewelry, designed and expertly crafted for you
David Alan is a New York City based custom fine jewelry atelier with an incredible reputation for capturing and translating your raw emotion and passion into a beautifully balanced, and distinctly unique design. Every part of your David Alan experience contributes to a jewel so personal, it becomes your signature, your talisman, and your future heirloom. Start your journey now.
Engage in a complimentary virtual consultation with David Alan, today!